Welcome back to school!
I hope you had a wonderful summer.
The SEED Board is thrilled to congratulate former board member extraordinaire, Kenny Tuckerman, who will start on LAFSD Governing Board in December. His contribution to SEED for the past 3 years was phenomenal: Kenny was my co-liaison with the LAFSD, as well as our parliamentarian, he elevated our website and communications and spearheaded innovative programs and partnerships. His in-depth understanding of all aspects of SpEd and special needs in general will be invaluable on the School Board. Kenny, we thank you for your inspiring willingness to serve! We would also like to congratulate Suzi Pak, Jean Follmer, and Rob Sturm who will be joining him on the School Board.
We are very proud to have been chosen by our Assemblywoman, Catharine Baker, as the Nonprofit of the Year for Assembly District 16. We traveled to Sacramento on June 6th, California Nonprofits Day, to receive our award.
I would also like to introduce you to the SEED Board for school year 2018-2019. Click here for who’s who and bios. Personally, I would like to extend a special thank you to Board Member Robyn Dobruck who is stepping up to be my Co-President this year. If you would like to volunteer, please email us at email@example.com.
This year, we will bring back a lot of your favorite programming…
- Monthly breakfasts at The Parlor
- A rich Parent Ed line up covering topics such as self-advocacy, dyslexia, executive functioning and homework, self care and more
- Fall Family Day at Sienna Ranch
- Monthly evening parent socials
- Funding of Teacher Development in LAFSD
- Enrichment of SpEd in LAFSD
...as well as a variety of new exciting projects and programs, such as:
- After-School SEED Social Group at Sienna Ranch
- Sibling Support Group in partnership with Spectrum Strategies
- Monthly weekend playdates at the Lamorinda All-Access Playground
- Sponsoring Diverse Ability Awareness Weeks at all 5 LAFSD campuses
- A SEED High-School Group with Monthly Breakfasts and 4 dedicated Parent Eds
- A SEED Book Club
As always we will be kicking off the year with our back-to-school brunch, hosted by the Kauder and Weiss families at the Weiss residence. Register here.
We hope many of you will come to meet and greet with fellow SEED members as well as new LAFSD Superintendent, Richard Whitmore, LAFSD Assistant Superintendent, Mary Maddux, and LAFSD Director of Student Services, Pat Gargiulo.
Do not miss our Back-to-School Checklist on our Homepage!
Last but not least, if you need an evening to recover from Back-to-School, I recommend you sign up all your children to the upcoming Respite Night at LOPC on Friday September 7th. Email Michelle Browning to register. And don’t feel guilty: it is even more of a treat for the children as their programming and staff are fabulous.
I wish all of your families a great school year!
Elsa Troy Slovik