Happy Back-to-School Month SEED Families!
Here’s hoping you made the most of our short summer break this year and have had a smooth transition back to the classroom routine. We have some exciting updates and fun happenings on tap for the coming year!
Welcome New Board Members
We are thrilled to welcome two new Board members to our team this year. Say hello and thank them for their dedication next time you see them around town. SEED is a parent-run organization and wouldn’t exist without the support of our volunteers. A big THANK YOU to all our Board members for their time and talents!
- Celeste Balaban will bring her passion and energy to our birthday party playdates – join her at the All-Access Playground at Moraga Commons on Sat., Sept. 21 at 2pm.
- Greg Millar will use his organizational savvy to make our annual Fundraiser party better than ever. Be sure to save the date for our Mardi Gras-themed party on Friday, Feb. 28, 2020. Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Education & Leadership
SEED provides knowledge about specific disabilities, navigating systems and current best practices for care and inclusion to families, educators and the community. Our instructional efforts are focused on helping families to work collaboratively and have their voices heard. Check the website for event details.
- Sep 24: IEP 101 – Educational workshop to help parents understand the often-confusing Individual Education Plan process. Childcare will be available.
- Oct 27: Sibling Panel – A discussion about the sometimes wonderful and sometimes challenging dynamics and impacts unique to Special Needs families, from the perspective of typical siblings. Learn ways to support these critical lifelong relationships. Details coming soon!
- Oct. 16: Dyslexia and Comorbidity – What is Dyslexia? How is it diagnosed? Why do students with dyslexia often have ADHD, Anxiety, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, etc.? Speakers: James Bylund, Psy.D., ABSNP and Christine Oates, Psy.D., ABSNP. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Location details to come.
- Mar 5: Dyslexia Round Table – A panel of experts will address learning issues and compare the different intervention methodologies used. Location TBD.
- Spring 2020: Learning Disability Simulation – Back by popular demand! Understand and experience firsthand how frustrating it is when your hand won’t write what your brain is telling it to. Or how hard it is to complete a simple task when you have trouble focusing. An interactive and eye-opening clinic. Stay tuned for details!
Outreach & Support
We have a robust line-up of entertaining social events this year. Join us to build relationships, share tips and resources or just to blow off some steam! #selfcare
- Sept. 5: Back to School Happy Hour – Quarry House at Wilder, Orinda
- Sept. 13: Monthly Breakfast Friday mornings at 9 a.m. – bagels, coffee & conversation
- Sept. 21: Saturday afternoon playdate at the Moraga Commons All-Access Playground during nice weather, indoors during rainy season
- Oct. 20: Fall Family Picnic at Sienna Ranch
- Dec 6: Holiday Party
- Feb 28: Mardi Gras Fundraiser
We will continue to partner with families, educators and professionals to share the knowledge and support that lead to informed choices. Our intent as always is to create a community of kindness and inclusivity where our children can flourish.
Looking forward to another fantastic year together!
Ember Bailey & Shannon Trifiletti
Visit our website at https://seedlafayette.org
We are a Non-Profit 501(c)(3) Tax ID 26-3072860